SEL-2505 Remote I/O Module
The SEL-2505 Remote I/O Module has eight digital inputs, eight digital outputs, and a fiber-optic communications port. Use two optical fibers instead of 32 wires between outdoor or remote equipment and the control building to reduce costs, improve safety, and boost reliability. Or, connect an SEL-2505 to a fiber-optic port or transceiver on a protective relay to add digital I/O. Wire the SEL-2505 I/O to relay I/O to add SEL Mirrored Bits® teleprotection.
- Protection and Monitoring
Add simple bus protection using contact inputs and outputs from existing relays. Add secure pilot communications to existing two- and three-terminal line applications. Add local or remote trip and close coil monitoring capability.
Expand the I/O of SEL relays that are Mirrored Bits compatible without modification to the control panel face. Make I/O status from any relay available to SEL Mirrored Bits schemes.
Replace control wiring to outside cabinets with fiber-optic cable to reduce dc ground exposure.
Use the communications monitoring feature to alarm when fiber-optic control cabling has been damaged, disturbed, or altered.
- High Reliability and Rugged Design
Built to the same high standards as SEL protective relays, the SEL-2505 withstands vibration, electrical surges, fast transients, and extreme temperatures, meeting stringent industry standards. The printed circuit boards are conformal coated to provide an additional barrier to airborne contaminants such as hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, salt, and moisture.
Reduce project costs by using two fibers instead of 32 large diameter wires, with less material expense, reduced trench and raceway requirements, and less labor for design, documentation, installation, testing, and maintenance.
- Inexpensively extend contact I/O on SEL relays that are Mirrored Bits communications compatible.
- Add Mirrored Bits communications to any protective relay (numeric or electromechanical) or other IED.
- Connect two SEL-2505s together to share digital contact I/O information between any two IEDs.
- Monitor data channel integrity to increase protection scheme or I/O security above that of traditional systems.
- Create simple bus protection using existing line relay contact I/O and the SEL-2505.
- The base-model SEL-2505 is configured with an on-board V-pin fiber-optic transceiver/modem. To receive the unit with an on-board ST®-type connection, this option must be selected when ordering.
Fiber-Optic Port Options:
|Transceiver Compatibility ||Connectors ||Fiber ||Distance|
|SEL Fiber-Optic Cable |
|SEL-2800||V-System||Multi-Mode||0 to 1/2 || SEL-C805 |
|SEL-2815||ST® ||Multi-Mode||2 to 15*|| SEL-C807,C808 |
|SEL-2830||ST||Single-Mode||16 to 80*|| SEL-C809 |
|SEL-2812||ST||Multi-mode||0 to 4|| SEL-C807,C808 |
* for distances below minimum use attenuators on Transmit fiber
Access drawings via the Online Product Configuration link in the Ordering Information box at the top right of this page (below the product photo).
From the Product Configuration page, configure your product or enter your part number via the Universal Part Number Reverse Lookup. Then download custom .dwg or .pdf files specific to your product.
You may also go directly to the Product Configuration page to make a product selection.