SEL-2830 Single-Mode Fiber-Optic Transceiver/Modem
Improve safety, signal integrity, and reliability by using two optical fibers instead of wire to transfer bidirectional serial data using single-mode optical fiber. Apply for instrumentation, protection, automation and other applications that benefit from economical fiber-optic links from16 to 80 kilometers long.
- Flexible, Long-Range Fiber-Optic Communication
Send serial data up to 80 kilometers using single-mode optical fibers with standard ST connectors. Use data rates from 0-40,000 bits per second. Use selector switch to choose between DCE and DTE standard pin configurations and eliminate the use of adapters.
- Easy Application
Plug transceiver/modem directly onto a standard 9-pin serial connector (DB-9). No special mounting is required. Receives power from the host device via the connector; no separate power supply or power wiring is needed. Transmits continuous light pulses for simpler testing with an optical meter. Apply with ST terminated fiber cables.
- Secure and Reliable Data Transfer
Maximum bit error rate (BER) of 10-9. Far less susceptible to EMI/RFI than copper links. Edge emitting laser provides component isolation and low power consumption.
- Improved Safety
Eye-safe Class 1 laser product. Provides improved isolation from ground potential rise and other electrical hazards compared to copper connections.
- Connect the SEL-2830 to the EIA-232 port of SEL relays on opposite ends of a protected line and connect them with two fibers. Use Mirrored Bits® communications for teleprotection schemes including POTT, DCUB, or DCB.
- Distribution system restoration using Mirrored Bits communications between distribution feeder protection relays.
- Substation data acquisition and control between a station communications processor and a SCADA master.
Fiber-Optic Cables and Jumpers
- For limited space, use C780 cable