Designed as a server-class computer, the tough SEL-3355 Computer is built to withstand harsh environments in utility substations, industrial control, and automation systems. By eliminating all moving parts, including rotating hard drives and fans, and using error-correcting code (ECC) memory technology, SEL computers have over ten times the mean time between failures (MTBF) of typical industrial computers. Designed, manufactured, and tested to the same standards as our protective relays, every SEL-3355 comes with an unprecedented ten-year, worldwide SEL warranty.
Industrial computer systems require 24/7 availability and ease of service when necessary. SEL computers are server-class solutions with respect to RAS—reliability, availability, and serviceability. The SEL-3355 satisfies these server-class requirements with the following:
SEL designs, manufactures, and tests every dependable computer in-house. Our computing systems currently have an MTBF of over 100 years, ten times higher than that of the typical industrial computer. And, SEL computers are backed by a ten-year, no-questions-asked warranty.
Designed to keep your system operational for longer periods, the SEL-3355 can be optioned with dual load-sharing power supplies and a RAID-configurable, four-bay solid-state drive (SSD) enclosure. The SEL-3355 includes an Intel® Core™ i7 multicore processor. SEL computers also feature SEL's unique system monitor (SysMon) with a watchdog timer.
Intel's Advanced Management Technology (AMT) allows logs to be viewed for evaluation and service even when the unit is powered off. Users can reboot into another operating system (OS) for diagnostics or to batch software and then bring the system back online, all remotely. Additionally, SEL’s SysMon logs computer events specific to the installed system to aid in quick recovery.
- Robust Hardware Design
SEL computers are designed for maximum reliability, with no fans or moving parts, and are backed by a ten-year warranty. The SEL-3355 has a durable power supply, an advanced thermal management system, error-correcting memory, and single-level cell (SLC) SSD's to provide reliable operation in the harshest environments.
- Reliable Operation—Meets IEEE 1613, IEEE C37.90, and IEC 60255 Protective Relay Standards
Install the SEL-3355 in harsh environments. It is designed to withstand 15 kV electrostatic discharge, fast transients, radiated emissions, up to 15 g shock, seismic and sustained vibration, overcurrent, dielectric strength, and pulse magnetic field disturbances.
- Wide-Range Power Supply
Power supply supports 120/240 Vac or 125/250 Vdc. Choose two supplies, and use one power supply with 120 Vac and the other with 125 Vdc for backup.
- Watchdog Functionality
Monitor and alarm for numerous system services and conditions with an embedded controller that provides an extra level of computer system reliability. The embedded controller includes a programmable system monitor interface and alarm configuration.
- High-Performance Intel Core i7 Multicore Processor
The SEL-3355 features a next generation Intel processor with Intel vPro™ technology and up to 16 GB ECC RAM, providing the power you need for any application.
Read The Importance of ECC Memory in Your Substation Computer.
- Multiple I/O Ports
Directly connect to various local peripherals and high-speed network interfaces with two Ethernet ports, audio I/O, six USB ports, three video ports, and two serial ports.
- Flexibility With PCI Slots
With four PCI Express and one legacy PCI expansion slots, add additional serial ports, Ethernet ports, I/O, or other PCI Express cards that your application requires.
- Operating System Choices
Select your choice of operating systems, such as Microsoft® Windows Server® 2008 R2 or Windows® 7 Ultimate 64-bit. You can also create an embedded, integrated computing platform with Windows Embedded Standard or Linux® operating systems.
- Large Storage Capacity
Choose the SSD for your application. With a four-drive SSD bay, you can create one large volume or configure a typical RAID system that provides redundant and more reliable storage.
The SEL-3355 is a server-class computer designed to provide unmatched reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS). With the SEL-3355, you can:
- Create an engineering workstation with all your substation files so they are easily accessible from within the substation.
- Provide the critical infrastructure for your most demanding Soft PLC solutions.
- Connect multiple monitors, a keyboard, and a mouse to provide a human-machine interface (HMI) for alarm annunciation, local indication, control, and configuration.
- Configure with a read-only domain controller (RODC) and Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) to create high-availability authentication and authorization services.
- Concentrate synchrophasor data and help meet NERC PRC-002-02 requirements with an SEL disturbance fault recording system.
- Install with acSELerator Team® SEL-5045 Software for a robust and reliable event collection system.
- Consolidate your other computers into a highly available, redundant failover system with dual-redundant power supplies and RAID SSD configuration.
- Virtualize your applications, and make them easier to manage.
- Create an engineering workstation for the substation with all your substation files so they are easily accessible from within the substation.
- Access the substation remotely, and gain access to all appropriate devices and services with a secure gateway.
- Concentrate data from relays, communications and logic processors, and other devices; forward information to multiple master data users, such as SCADA, energy management, power quality, and equipment maintenance systems.
- Create a custom RTU with added I/O PCI peripherals and your custom software applications.
- Process or automate controllers on the manufacturing floor or in a control enclosure located in the facility yard.
- Acquire and archive data for mobile drilling or testing.
- Operating System:
Windows® 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Windows Server® 2008 R2 Standard—5 CALs
Linux® (future release)
Dual-Core 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 processor is standard. Optional Quad-Core 2.1GHz Intel Core i7 processor is available.
4GB error-correcting code (ECC) RAM is standard. Choose up to 16GB of ECC RAM.
- Storage Options:
Choose up to four solid-state drives (SSDs): 30, 60, 120, or 250 GB capacity per drive
- Power Supply:
Choose one or two:
125/250 Vdc or 120/240 Vac
- Conformal Coating
Protect equipment from harsh environments and airborne contaminants, such as hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, salt, and moisture. Learn more about conformal coating.
SEL University Training
- COM 203: SEL Cybersecurity Best Practices for Critical Infrastructure
If modern substation design is implemented poorly and lacks adequate cybersecurity, it can be vulnerable to cyberattack and exploitation. A lack of cybersecurity will eventually lead to decreased power system reliability. Cybersecurity is a key component of enhanced power system reliability and operation.