SEL-352 Breaker Failure Relay
The SEL-352 relay provides breaker failure protection, breaker control, and breaker monitoring. Features include a cost-saving data recorder and a sophisticated controller to reduce maintenance and manual operations. SELogic® Control Equations provide flexibility in applying the SEL-352 Relay for a variety of applications.
- Comprehensive Breaker Failure Protection
Circuit breaker failure protection including failure to trip for fault or load conditions; failure to close, including pole disagreement; failure while open (flashover detection); failure to complete a trip or close due to stuck resistor switches; and loss of dielectric pressure. Five built-in schemes can be modified with SELogic control equations for application flexibility. Trip failure schemes accommodate single and multiple breaker applications, single-pole closing, and tripping applications. Overcurrent fault detection element includes unique subsidence current detection logic to provide fast reset after the breaker opens.
- Complete Breaker Control
Circuit breaker control features include Motor-Operated Disconnect (MOD) trip and power circuit breaker isolation security logic, retripping, point-on-wave and staggered phase closing, synchronism checking, and trapped-charge polarity detection for sophisticated breaker control. Extensive SELogic control equations allow you to create custom automatic reclosing schemes.
- Data Recording
Data recording features include up to ten 60-cycle oscillographic event reports (64 samples/cycle), up to 512 Sequential Events Recorder (SER) reports, breaker trip and close monitor details, and summary of electrical and mechanical operating times. Breaker contact wear monitor on per-phase basis. All data stored in nonvolatile memory.
- High Reliability and Rugged Design
The SEL-352 withstands vibration, electrical surges, fast transients, and extreme temperatures, meeting stringent industry standards. For even harsher environments order conformal coating for the printed circuit boards to provide an additional barrier to airborne contaminants such as hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, salt, and moisture.
- Apply one SEL-352 Relay per circuit breaker to detect breaker failure conditions for single-pole and three-pole tripping applications with any bus/breaker arrangement.
- Minimize total breaker failure fault clearing time with reduced timing margins made possible by subsidence current detection logic and optional fast output contacts.
- Implement point-on-wave closing with trapped-charge polarity detection and synchronism checking to minimize system voltage transients when closing breaker.
- Use control logic to minimize breaker wear by closing at optimum times.
- Use SEL-5040 acSELerator Report Server™ Software to automatically gather relay event reports on your PC and manage them with a database.
- Use SEL-5010 Relay Assistant Software to manage your relay settings.
- Use SEL-5601 acSELerator Analytic Assistant™ Software to display oscillograms and vector diagrams to analyze event reports.
- Panel-mount or rack-mount hardware package.
- Chassis available for one or two additional I/O boards.
- I/O boards with contact sensing inputs and standard control outputs; high-current interrupting outputs; or high-speed, high-current interrupting outputs.
- Connectorized (plug-in connectors).
- Breaker interrupting contact wear monitor, for each phase.
- Distributed Network Protocol (DNP) 3 Level 2 Slave communications protocol available for the SEL-352-2 model.
SEL provides options to help you efficiently and safely commission and test these relays.
When access to the back of panels and cabinets is allowed, use a Connectorized® version of this relay for fast installation and testing.
Carry an SEL-2924 Portable BLUETOOTH® Serial Adapter in your toolbox to connect to an EIA-232 port on a relay, controller, or other device. Use the built-in BLUETOOTH wireless capability of a laptop, smartphone, or other device to communicate over 10 meters (32 feet) via a secure wireless link.
The BLUETOOTH® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by SEL is under license.
Install the SEL RxTx BLUETOOTH® Application on an Android™ or BlackBerry® mobile device to communicate with an SEL-2924 or SEL-2925 BLUETOOTH Serial Adapter.
Add a 6-foot or 15-foot SEL-C662 EIA-232 serial port cable to a PC USB Standard-A port to communicate with SEL relays and other devices with EIA-232 serial ports.
- Add independent breaker control to any relay. The SEL-9510 Control Switch Module easily installs in panel or rack locations for independent local control and status indications.
- SEL-2800 Family of Fiber-Optic Transceivers
Directly connect an SEL-2800, -2810, -2812, 2814, -2815, -2829, -2830, or -2831 Fiber-Optic Transceiver to an EIA-232 serial port for full duplex communications with a variety of systems and devices. The SEL-2810 and SEL-2812 use the same fibers to also transfer an IRIG-B time synchronizing signal to the relay.
- SEL-9220 Fiber-Optic Adapter for SEL-300 Series Relays
Directly connect the SEL-9220 Fiber-Optic Adapter for SEL-300 Series Relays to the EIA-485 serial port to communicate with a variety of systems and devices. Use an SEL-2812MT or SEL-2812FT Fiber-Optic Transceiver for the other end of the fiber-optic link to use the same fibers to also transfer an IRIG-B time synchronizing signal to the relay.
Access drawings via the Online Product Configuration link in the Ordering Information box at the top right of this page (below the product photo).
From the Product Configuration page, configure your product or enter your part number via the Universal Part Number Reverse Lookup. Then download custom .dwg or .pdf files specific to your product.
You may also go directly to the Product Configuration page to make a product selection.