SEL-411L Advanced Line Differential Protection, Automation, and Control System
Apply the SEL-411L Relay for complete protection and control of any transmission line. The SEL-411L provides differential protection with both phase- and sequence-based operating elements for sensitivity and high-speed operation. Choose from many popular fiber and multiplexed communications options. Distance protection and logic from a complete SEL-421 Protection, Automation, and Control System are included to provide backup protection and integration. Any transmission line (short, long, or series-compensated) can be well protected with the SEL-411L Relay.
- High-Speed, Secure Line Current Differential Protection
Differential elements provide subcycle operating times to improve system stability. Line charging current compensation provides an accurate response for long or short lines. Apply the proven Alpha Plane operating principle for reliable and secure operation. Multiterminal lines and transformers in the differential zone are protected.
- Reliable Backup Protection
Complete distance and directional elements provide backup protection in case the differential communications channel is lost. All the features of the SEL-421 Relay are included in addition to the differential protection.
- Complete Reclosing System With Synchronism Check and High-Speed Breaker Failure Detection for Two Breakers
Dual CT and VT input logic and settings are included for control of two circuit breakers. Settable voltage inputs provide flexible operation. Open-pole detection in less than 5/8 cycle allows the use of shorter breaker failure margin times. Independent current inputs provide protection for two circuit breakers.
- Synchrophasor Measurements to Increase Asset Utilization
Validate system load flow and fault models using instantaneous voltage angles. Use system-state measurements to increase stable system loading through reduced margin requirements. Use IEEE C37.118 format with 1–60 messages per second or SEL Fast Message format for interleaved communications. Apply direct relay-to-relay synchrophasors for wide-area-based control without additional devices.
- True Digital Fault Recorder (DFR) Functionality
Use binary COMTRADE event reports sampled at 8 kHz directly from the relay without expensive auxiliary equipment.
- Traveling Wave Fault Location
Accurately pinpoint faults with GPS-synchronized traveling wave fault location. Save time and money by sending maintenance crews to the tower nearest the fault.
SEL-411L CT Saturation Tool
Please follow the steps below to calculate the impact of CT saturation on the alpha plane's performance in the SEL-411L relay:
- Create a new folder on your computer: e.g. C:\SEL\411L.
- Download the IEEE CT saturation calculator to this folder.
- Download the SEL-411L CT saturation spreadsheet to this folder.
- Open the IEEE CT saturation calculator and SEL-411L CT saturation spreadsheet.
- Enter the characteristics of the CT to be evaluated into the IEEE CT saturation calculator
The SEL-411L CT saturation spreadsheet provides an estimate of the 87L response.
- Use high-speed single- or three-pole line current differential with distance protection backup for critical transmission lines.
- Connect to serial (or Ethernet networks [coming soon]) for differential communications.
- Apply complete bay control, reclosing, and breaker failure protection for two breakers.
- Find faults fast with optional traveling wave fault location. Reduce maintenance expenses by sending crews to the tower nearest the fault.
- View synchrophasors from any location with an SEL-411L to measure the system state. Use 1–60 messages per second in high-accuracy IEEE C37.118 data format.
- Control generators or shed loads using synchrophasors directly from another device with IEEE C37.118 synchrophasors.
- Monitor circuit breaker performance, including average and last tripping time, compressor run time, and contact-interrupting duty.
- Use expanded SELogic® control equations for custom applications, such as capacitor voltage differential, voltage-restrained overcurrent, or thermal emulation of transmission lines.
- Combine the DFR functions of the SEL-411L with SEL software to view system-wide events with microsecond timing accuracy.
- Provide thermal overload protection.*
* Connect to an SEL-2600 RTD Module using a fiber-optic transceiver.
- Subcycle distance and directional elements suitable for series-compensated lines.
- Traveling wave fault location.
- Conformal-coated circuit boards.
- Ethernet communications.
- IEC 61850 communications.
- Connectorized® hardware configuration.
- Isolated EIA-422
- Isolated ITU-T G.703
- 850 nm or 1300 nm fiber, IEEE C37.94 encoding*
- 1300 nm single- or multimode fiber*
- 1550 nm single-mode fiber*
- One or two channels.
- 4U, 5U or 6U chassis for up to three I/O boards.
- Vertical or horizontal, panel- or rack-mount hardware package.
- Inputs/outputs (settable or level-sensitive, optoisolated).
* Connect to an SEL-2600 RTD Module using a fiber-optic transceiver.
Carry an SEL-2924 Portable BLUETOOTH® Serial Adapter in your toolbox to connect to an EIA-232 port on a relay, controller, or other device. Use the built-in BLUETOOTH wireless capability of a laptop, smartphone, or other device to communicate over 10 meters (32 feet) via a secure wireless link.
The BLUETOOTH® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by SEL is under license.
Install the SEL RxTx BLUETOOTH® Application on an Android™ or BlackBerry® mobile device to communicate with an SEL-2924 or SEL-2925 BLUETOOTH Serial Adapter.
Add a 6-foot or 15-foot SEL-C662 EIA-232 serial port cable to a PC USB Standard-A port to communicate with SEL relays and other devices with EIA-232 serial ports.
SEL University Training
- APP 411L: SEL-411L Advanced Line Differential Protection, Automation, and Control System
APP 411L is an advanced hands-on course that builds on the introductory configuration and protection principles taught in CBT 101, CBT 421, and APP 421 and on the logic configuration principles taught in CBT 104. Students in APP 411L will complete hands-on exercises to configure differential protection and advanced logic, and they will also learn about traveling wave fault location.
- ME-APP 411L/421: High Speed Line Differential Relay
Note: This course is structured for international students only.
APP 411L is an advanced hands-on course that builds on the introductory configuration and protection principles taught in CBT 101, CBT 421, and APP 421 and on the logic configuration principles taught in CBT 104. Students in APP 411L will complete hands-on exercises to configure differential protection and advanced logic, and they will also learn about traveling wave fault location. This course also provides comprehensive application instruction for the SEL-421 Protection, Automation, and Control System, an extremely flexible, high-speed relay for dual-breaker control applications, used in multiple functions.
Configurable Label Templates and Instructions
Access drawings via the Online Product Configuration link in the Ordering Information box at the top right of this page (below the product photo).
From the Product Configuration page, configure your product or enter your part number via the Universal Part Number Reverse Lookup. Then download custom .dwg or .pdf files specific to your product.
You may also go directly to the Product Configuration page to make a product selection.