SEL-710-5 Motor Protection Relay
Protect asynchronous (induction) and synchronous motors with one SEL-710-5 Motor Protection Relay. New features include broken rotor bar detection and variable-frequency drive (VFD) support as well as options for arc-flash detection, differential protection, and synchronous motor protection. The synchronous option also includes, at no additional cost, a voltage divider accessory to interface with the motor excitation system.
Together with the industry’s best AccuTrack™ Thermal Model, these new features combine to provide a great solution for all of your motor protection applications.
- Advanced Protection
The SEL-710-5 provides advanced protection for induction and synchronous motors. Protection includes thermal overload, overcurrent, undercurrent, current unbalance, current differential, phase loss, ground fault, loss-of-field, over- or underfrequency, and much more.
- Optimized Start Times
The SEL-710-5 calculates percent of thermal capacity used in the motor to determine maximum safe start times with full motor protection. Accurate tracking of the motor thermal capacity also minimizes the time needed between starts.
- Convenient Controls
Use the eight programmable pushbuttons and 16 configurable tricolored LEDs on the front panel for quick, personalized control, with factory default start and stop functions.
- Easy Communications
Choose from single or dual, copper or fiber-optic Ethernet, Modbus® TCP, IEC 61850, DeviceNet™, Modbus Serial, DNP3, EIA-232, EIA-485, Telnet, and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) communications. Pick one or multiple connections, including multiple Modbus sessions for custom configuration of your application.
- Rugged Design
Install in extreme environments with the industry’s widest ambient temperature operating range, –40° to +85°C (–40° to +185°F).
- Protect induction motors, synchronous motors, and motors supported by VFDs.
- Use overcurrent-supervised arc-flash detection option cards to provide secure, fast protection and reduce the incident energy of arc-flash events.
- Add fast and secure motor current differential protection. Select the differential option with arc-flash detection sensors or with the synchronous motor option cards.
- Use built-in Mirrored Bits® communications to get fast relay-to-relay status information, improve trip times, and reduce arc-flash hazards.
- Detect broken rotor bars in induction motors.
- Share event data over secure networks using a variety of available protocols and channels.
- Provide accurate protection of motors with high-inertia loads throughout the starting period without a speed switch.
- Protect the motor through start, run, and restart conditions with the AccuTrack Thermal Model.
- Customize front-panel pushbutton operation and LEDs, or use default start and stop capabilities at your fingertips.
- Personalize LCD messages through the event-driven display point settings.
- Build your motor protection just the way you want it with an innovative internal option rack.
- Use the ratings, curve selection, or custom curve selection methods for motor protection.
- Use Windows®-based acSELerator QuickSet® SEL-5030 Software to guide you through the setting process.
- Create an integrated control system with a variety of I/O and communications options.
- Use comprehensive reporting to understand events, schedule maintenance, detect unfavorable trends, modify loads, and satisfy the information requirements of supervisory systems.
- Include resistance temperature detector (RTD) inputs as a part of the integrated thermal model or to bias protection.
- Select the external SEL-2600A or SEL-2600D RTD Module to eliminate expensive wire pulls and reduce wiring terminations at the relay by as much as 40 percent, while acquiring clean RTD signals and an additional contact input.
- Use acSELerator QuickSet or SEL-5010 Relay Assistant Software to manage your relay settings.
Flexible I/O for Local Control and System Applications
The base unit includes three digital outputs and two digital inputs. There are three card slots for optional SELect™ I/O cards, including the following:
- Four digital inputs (DI) and four digital outputs (DO)
- Four fast hybrid DO and four DI
- Eight DI
- Eight DO
- Four DO, three DI, and one analog output (AO)
- Four analog inputs (AI) and four AO
- Eight AI for dc process values
- Ten resistance temperature detector (RTD) inputs
- Three ac current (differential) and four arc-flash detection (AFD) inputs
- Three ac current (differential) and synchronous inputs
- Eight AFD inputs
- Choice of IRIG-B time-code input or PTC (thermistor) input.
- External RTDs (12 RTD inputs and one contact input on SEL-2600A or SEL-2600D RTD Module mounted near motor).
- Choose from Ethernet, Modbus® TCP, DNP3, IEC 61850, DeviceNet, Modbus Serial, EIA-232, EIA-485, Telnet, and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) communications.
Conformal coating—protect equipment from harsh environments and airborne contaminants, such as hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, salt, and moisture.
Learn more about conformal coating.
Retrofit Replacement Kits
Replace existing motor controls with SEL-710-5 direct replacement kits. These kits provide everything needed to replace many older motor protection relays with the SEL-710-5:
SEL provides options to help you efficiently and safely commission and test these relays.
Carry an SEL-2924 Portable BLUETOOTH® Serial Adapter in your toolbox to connect to an EIA-232 port on a relay, controller, or other device. Use the built-in BLUETOOTH wireless capability of a laptop, smartphone, or other device to communicate over 10 meters (32 feet) via a secure wireless link.
The BLUETOOTH® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by SEL is under license.
Install the SEL RxTx BLUETOOTH® Application on an Android™ or BlackBerry® mobile device to communicate with an SEL-2924 or SEL-2925 BLUETOOTH Serial Adapter.
Add a 6-foot or 15-foot SEL-C662 EIA-232 serial port cable to a PC USB Standard-A port to communicate with SEL relays and other devices with EIA-232 serial ports.
SEL University Training
- APP 710: SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay
In this two-day course, students will explore how to use the SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay to protect induction motors in an industrial setting. Students will complete in-depth, hands-on application and settings examples to learn how they can implement complete motor protection and control.
- CBT 710: Introduction to the SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay
This self-paced training CD provides a step-by-step guide to comprehensive motor protection and relay settings using the SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay. You will learn fundamental motor protection principles and settings recommendations, and then calculate and apply settings using acSELerator QuickSet® SEL-5030 Software.
- ME-APP 710: SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay
Note: This course is structured for international students only.
In this three-day course, students will explore how to use the SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay to protect induction motors in an industrial setting. Students will complete in-depth, hands-on application and settings examples to learn how they can implement complete motor protection and control.
Students will gain a comprehensive understanding of motor protection application philosophies, including SEL’s patented Thermal Model, which is integrated into the SEL-710 Motor Protection Relay. This course includes real-world motor examples and reduced voltage and capacitor start applications.
- ME-SYS 311: Introducing IEC 61850 Technology
Note: This course is structured for international students only.
SEL offers a 61850 solution. This course is designed to help our customers understand the IEC 61850 standard as well as how to comply with this standard using SEL products.
- SYS 403: Practical IEC 61850 Application
The international standard IEC 61850 was designed to standardize
communications and integration methods and to support systems built from
multivendor intelligent electronic devices (IEDs) that are networked to
perform protection, monitoring, automation, metering, and control
functions. SYS 403 is designed to be interactive and activity based.
During this course, you will configure and implement a realistic IEC
61850 communications and automation scheme. Each unit of this course
will guide you, step-by-step, through configuring this comprehensive
communications and automation scheme.
Configurable Label Templates and Instructions
Access drawings via the Online Product Configuration link in the Ordering Information box at the top right of this page (below the product photo).
From the Product Configuration page, configure your product or enter your part number via the Universal Part Number Reverse Lookup. Then download custom .dwg or .pdf files specific to your product.
You may also go directly to the Product Configuration page to make a product selection.